Thursday, February 14, 2008

An Actual Call; Not a Text

This post was submitted by Jenny C from Chicago:

Why has text messaging replaced actual phone calls in today’s dating world? When I give my digits out to a new guy, it is with the hope that I will get a phone call. Now I understand that women are intimidating and all, but we’ve already spoken to each other! I’ve given you my number! But I guess that first “hi” after all the alcohol has worn off is a little scary, so a short “hello, wasn’t Friday fun? Let’s hang this week”- text isn’t so bad.

However, when I reply “sounds great – call me!”. I really mean it. Do not text me back to make plans. “Text” does not equal “Call”.

I hate making plans via texting for three main reasons: (1) It takes many many texts to solidify plans, (2) Lots of time out of my life wasted trying to text message is very annoying, and (3) When I go over my allotted text amount because of this plan-making exchange with you, it costs me extra money.

Let me reiterate, please do not text me to make first, second or even third date plans. I don’t know you yet, and my annoyance threshold is very low at this point still. Feel free to text to say hi during the day while I’m at work and can’t talk anyways, but when I say “call me”, I expect a call later on that evening or the next. It’s really just that simple. I’m not a bitch and ignoring your texts. I just hate texting. And I know that I am not the only female out there that feels this way! Just ask my girlfriends….

So, next time, just suck it up and make the call. If I don’t answer, leave a voicemail. I will call you back – an actual call; not a text.

No comments: